Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Big Hairy Visitor

Just now there was an unbelievably hairy, multi-legged insect - a variety of which I have never seen before -scampering, or lurking (can you combine scampering and lurking...) along the cabinet wall in the pantry.

It was as if a caterpillar and a praying mantis had a really hairy baby

On every other occasion that I have encountered a furry, multi-legged insect of this size I have run screaming from the room calling for K to go and get it.

I really hate bugs.

I especially hate big, hairy, multi-legged bugs. (That are fast moving.)

Even more, I hate killing bugs.

I like them to be killed, I just don't want to do it.

These are the thoughts I have when I think about killing a bug on my own:

What if the bug jumps up and touches my hand?

What if I miss and the bug gets away and then I have to go to sleep in the same house with the mad bug?

What if the dead bug leaves a big slime on me?

Tonight I thought all of these thoughts.

But K is not home tonight and the bug was crawling towards the door of my son's room.

My maternal instict kicked in!

I MUST KILL THE BUG TO SAVE MY SON!!!

I wielded my slipper and struck.

Giant, unbelievable slime.

Everywhere.

Son safe.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have described a house centipede. Go to this University of Arkansas web site for details. Basically harmeless and feeds off of other insects in your house. Hence a friend if somewhat ugly friend.

http://www.uark.edu/depts/entomolo/museum/house_centipede.html

Oh, The Joys said...

That is TOTALLY what it was. (May the big hairy visitor RIP.)

Anonymous said...

Just killed one in my house....thanks for the blog so I knew what sort of evil beast I was killing!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. Your blog is the first thing that came up after I googled "big hairy bug". That is exactly what I have been seeing in my house. I thought I was losing my mind because I have never seen or heard of such a thing. They are so stinking fast. We never have actually caught one to kill it. I am thinking after reading about it that I might want to get an exterminator. Thanks for blogging it anyway. I still have the heeby jeebies thinking about it.