Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Home Again, Home Again...

My tired little boy went to daycare at the equivalent of 4:30 a.m. this morning. We arrived home from Seattle late last night and he went to bed at 11:00 p.m. Poor little chump got up at 6:30 and all I can say is that I feel sorry for the crack daycare team this morning. I am fairly certain he is going to make them suffer.

The Mayor and I had a great time visiting Grandma Seattle. Though we planned the trip for quite a while, it turned out to be a serendipitously good time to be out there. My mom is going through a tough time right now so The Mayor and I tried to cheer her up by dragging her to the Zoo, the Aquarium and back and forth across the Bainbridge Island Ferry.

It was a little tough as trips go because The Mayor had a bad cold. He had a constant river of green goo pouring from his nose and eyes. Green goo pouring from his EYES! Is it me or is that SO WRONG?!

I am going on record and blaming the snotty eyes on K’s family. Ha! In all my years I have never had to blow my eyes, pick my eyes, trim my eye socket hair or otherwise treat my eye holes like nostrils. My children, on the other hand, leak snot from the corners of their eyes when they are sick. Eeew.


The Mayor was a dream child on the flight home. At least from my perspective… We were in the center three seats and when we first boarded and I saw the loner business man we were to share our row with I was sure he was going to end up hating us.

Loner business man introduced himself to The Mayor as Mike and The Mayor promptly fell asleep with his little sneakers in Mike’s lap. Mercifully, The Mayor slept for two and a half hours of the four hour flight. Once awake, he spent the remainder of the flight yelling, “HEY, MR. MIKE (insert two year old banter here)!!!”

Though poor Mr. Mike was trying to read a magazine, he has three boys of his own at home and was quite the sport. Mr. Mike spent the rest of the flight showing The Mayor photos and videos of his kids on his camera phone while I read a trashy celebrity rag. Hip hip hooray for Mr. Mike!

It is great to be home with K and Rooster Girl. I missed them. Roo learned to moo like a cow while we were away. “Moooooo!”

I miss my Mom. She is sad right now because of the things going on in her life – none of which she deserves. I am thinking of her and wishing that the whole great blog-o-sphere will, as the Quakers say, “hold her in the light.”

Updated:

The Mayor's daycare teacher called me at 11:45 to say that he was having a really hard time and to ask me if I'd talk to him on the phone. (Of course!)

Me: Hi..

The Mayor: (able to hear lip trembling through the phone receiver) Hi.

Me: What's happening?

The Mayor: (shaky, shaky voice) I'm crying.

Me: Do you need me to come get you?

The Mayor: Uh huh.

He is here, in his own bed, taking a loooooooooong nap. Blasted Pacific Standard time!

11 comments:

Lisa said...

Welcome Home!!! I hope your Mom comes through the difficult period.

Lisa

liberalbanana said...

Welcome back!

I'll hold Mama Oh-the-Joys in the light! Tough times suck. Hopefully, she'll come out on the other side into a better place than where she started.

Were you nervous to fly on 9/11?

wordgirl said...

Flying with small children is not for the faint of heart. You have courage and I commend you for it. I hope your mom feels better.

Pendullum said...

Welcom home...
I just sighed and am holding your mom in the light...
What a good daughter you are...
Thinking of you and your family... No one ever goes it alone...

carmachu said...

Welcome back! A business man with his own kids KNOWS what their like, so is less inclined to be pissy.

Snot from the eyes? Ewwww, you folks are weird.....

Hope things turn out well for your mom...

wendy boucher said...

Sending good karma right now to Grandma Seattle. I'm also sending Mr. Mike some good immunity karma so that he doesn't get runny eyes from your son. Ewwww is right. And what rhymes with Ewww? Moooo. Go Ruby.

Sayre said...

Welcome home! Sorry to hear your mom's having a rough go - and I'm sure having you and Owen there cheered her up a great deal. (Seeing light around Grandma Seattle) :)

I was a Mr. Mike once. It was a flight from Atlanta to Portland, OR and the girl (she really wasn't more than 20 or so) next to me had a two-year old and a two-week old. She looked exhausted, so I asked if I could play with her son (the two year old). My son was about that age then. So we read and talked and drew and he finally fell asleep. THen I noticed that the mom had also fallen asleep and the baby was wiggling dangerously on her lap. So I got up, went around and took the baby, changed her, then rooted around in the diaper bag for a bottle. After feeding her, I walked her up and down the aisles until she fell asleep too. As we landed, Mom woke up and temporarily panicked until she found her son asleep next to her and her baby asleep on my shoulder. SHe went to the bathroom and freshened up before taking her children back. It was pretty sad actually... she was taking her son to surrender him to his father. She was alone and just couldn't handle two kids.

The stewardesses thought that she was on drugs and pulled me aside as I was leaving to ask if they needed to call the police. No-she's just really sick (flu) and an emotional wreck - but she's not abusing her kids or on drugs.

Made me sad.

Deb said...

Welcome Home!!

Lily said...

Welcome back! Hope everything turns out ok for your mom.

Poor kiddo, he tried.

sayre - that was a heartbreaking story. I'm glad you were there for all of them on that flight. :(

Kevin Charnas said...

Ohh...poor little champ...

I'm glad that you're back safe and sound. You were missed.
Um...yeah...the snot from the eyes thing? Thanks for that...thanks a lot. I think I brought a little bit of lunch up.

And I'll be thinking of your Mom...I'll send her as much light as I can muster, I promise.

lildb said...

I'm thinking of your mom.

I'm sorry about the eye boogers. those are horrendous, unbearable things that should never have been invented.

hope all gets back on schedule soon, esp Owen's sleep time.

xoxoxo