Friday, September 01, 2006

Christmas Every Day

Last night K and I were laying on the bed talking about our day, our children and my upcoming trip to visit my Mom in Seattle with The Mayor. Our faces were so close that our noses were touching.

K: You're leaving for Seattle soon.


Me: Mmmm hmmm.

K: I'm going to miss you.

Me: I'm going to miss you too.

K: It's almost our five year wedding anniversary.

Me: Yeah. I still love you you know. I still think you're smart... and funny... and sexy. I still don't like to spend time away from you. It's just not as much fun.

K: Mmmm. (Gets a whiff of me.) I still LOVE the overpowering smell of chlorine on your skin. (I am a swimmer.)

Me: I thought you were going to say you still love the smell of my farts.

K: No. Those are smelly!

After this incredibly romantic burst of marital bliss, K got up to get ready for bed. As he stripped out of his underwear, he prepared for THE SHOT. He balled up his underwear and squinted at the ceiling fan, his brain spinning up various mathematical theories of aerodynamics and propulsion.

K: I think I'm going to try to get the underwear up on top of the blades and see if the extra lift can spin them around the room and into the hamper with greater efficacy.

This proved to be a complete and utter failure of a theory. After three tries, the underwear lay limply on the floor.

Me: I think it's like baseball, Hon. You need a direct hit, fan blade to underwear.

He tried again using the baseball theory with no success.

Me: You SUCK at baseball!! Ha ha ha ha!

K tried one more time and the underwear spun around the ceiling fan blades and flew right into the hamper. He threw his arms into the air and strutted nude around the room like an NFL star that had just made a touchdown. Then he POUNCED on the bed, pinned my arms down and said, "Take back what you said about me sucking at baseball! Who sucks now?!! I OWN the shot!"

Then he found a secret portal and...

Photo by Tom Hauck

"FLY ME TO THE MOON"

My great, great Granny went from horse and buggy to the moon. She lived from 1886 to 1986. I was in high-school near the end of her life and was endlessly interested in the details of her courtship and marriage. How did she know her husband was "the one," what did it feel like to be in love, what was dating like for her... She would indulge me and tell me about her husband, my great, great Grandfather, who died thirty years before her.

She told me that she knew she was in love because it felt like "the same kind of electricity" ran through both of their bodies when they were together. I always liked that metaphor and I still imagine them humming and vibrating at the simple nearness of the other.

They were married on Christmas Eve in a small church decorated with pine boughs. She told me that she was glad they married on Christmas Eve because her marriage felt like Christmas every day.

Tomorrow K and I will celebrate the five year anniversary of our marriage.

FIVE GOLDEN RINGS!!!!!!!!!!
Four calling birds,

Two French he...
Sorry.

Wrong holiday.

We married on Labor Day weekend in 2001 and then left for a 16 month backpacking trip around the world.

Perhaps marrying on Labor Day weekend has been a good omen for us, as marrying on Christmas Eve was for my Great, Great, Granny. Our marriage is often hard work, but five years later K and I continue to show up and be present for and committed to it. I would even go as far as to say that I, like Granny before me, have a marriage where it is "Christmas every day." Every day with K is a gift.

Okay, okay, so some days one or the other of us has to plaster on a fake smile and say, "OH! The complete Ginsu knife set! You SHOULDN'T have." But still, every day is a gift.

I remember our preparations for this wedding. We were mostly concerned with the ceremony itself. We wrote the entire ceremony because we were a little obsessed about the exact wording of what we were promising each other. Like many soon to be wed people, we were a little skittish. As evidence, here is a wedding photograph taken at the exact moment we were asked if we would commit to each other for "better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, 'til death do us part."



Happy Anniversary!

15 comments:

Sayre said...

I LOVE THIS!!!! I hope you save these in printed form for your kids so they will know what a wonderful, wacky mom and dad they had when they are older. It is sad but true - they will remember nothing of this time in their lives. And it is so wonderful, it would be a shame for them to miss it!

Happy Anniversary!

Suz said...

yay!!! Happy Anniversary! I hope we're still in love as you two seem to be in four years' time :)
Congratulations!

Lisa Goldstein/Kelly Kelly said...

Have a very happy anniversary. Loved the photo, and what a sweet and funny piece about you and your husband.

I pictured electricity running through my grandparents who have been married 100 billion years. They live to make each other miserable and enjoy bickering like it's an early bird special. Sometimes when two people have the same electricity running through them, the circuits overload and they get zapped.

Enjoy your anniversary!

Lisa

Fran said...

I think you should start writing Harlequin romance novels...complete with pictures. I mean, Kevin strutting around nude, pouncing on you, talking about "who sucks now?"...and the pictures! Those pictures! Can you see the painting of Kevin on the front...all like the margarine man with the long blonde hair?

Hmmmmmm.

Nikki said...

Happy anniversary!

I loved the description of your hubby and the whole underwear in the hamper thing. LOL

Merry said...

Don't be too bummed about Joey!! Happy anniversary (and here's to a life filled with more hot sex!)

Mel said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!!!
(Loved this post. Made me laugh and get all sentimental at the same time. The very best kind.)

slackermommy said...

Happy Anniversary! I cracked up at the underwear throwing. It reminded me how my kids throw stuffed animals on our ceiling fans to see how far they fly.

theresa said...

Your post is priceless! I just love reading about healthy marriages like yours.

mothergoosemouse said...

Okay, that picture is to die for! I knew I liked you, but that just seals the deal.

Happy anniversary, and many many more.

Indecisive Woman said...

Congrats on your fifth anniversary! Are you doing anything special, other than working out the laws of physics?

You should be happy that your husband at least attempts to get his underwear in the hamper, even if it takes a journey around the room first. Perhaps I will suggest Kevin's game as a way to make putting dirty underwear in the hamper fun.

Megan said...

Celebrating your anniversary on Labour Day is so much lovelier than moving house (this is the second annual labour day move!) Hope you have a wonderful weekend together!
PS: props to Kevin who at least attempts to put his dirty underwear in the hamper =)

Irish Church Lady :) said...

Congrats and Happy Anniversary!

Great pic BTW!

Waya said...

Ahhh, that was so touching! Happy happy anniversary to you and Kevin. I love the conversation btw, it sounds like something hubbie and I still talk about after 9 years. And it just gets better and better every day.

liberalbanana said...

Love, love, LOVE the wedding photo. And I love how Kevin is TRYING to make a silly face, but he really just looks like someone goosed him.

Happy (Belated) Anniversary!