Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Cross Cultural Playtime

Yesterday K stayed home with The Mayor's little pneumonia-fied self and took him on an outing to a local, international market because The Mayor is a big fan of the smoothies there.

This particular market is better than amazing.

It is huge and filled with giant piles of fresh food of every imaginable variety.

If you need a random ingredient for the national dish of [insert name of any country here] you will find it at this market.

Because I have shopped there for so many years, when in a regular grocery store with aisles and aisles of cardboard boxes and plastic packages, I can't help thinking, "Where is the actual FOOD in this place?"

At the market, flags of all nations hang from the ceiling and the employees hail from Ethiopia, India, Vietnam and other far off places.

As the multitude of languages fill my children's ears, I hope they learn to value and celebrate people who look, act and think differently from them...


But Oh, The Mayor...

While there yesterday The Mayor saw a woman in a Burka and greeted her with this:


"PEEK-A-BOO! I CAN'T SEE YOU!"

Democratic Underground

Now I have to change the name of this blog to "Oh, The SHHHHH!"

18 comments:

shoopska said...

That is brilliant! I just burst out laughing at my desk... thank you Mayor, you made my day!

Sayre said...

That's terrific! I hope he elicited a giggle from behind the burka...

cmhl said...

haaaaaaaaa! what did she say???

lynsalyns said...

Yes, what DID she say? I think The Mayor and I would get along well - we have a similar sense of humor!

julia said...

*snort* That's funny.

wordgirl said...

Okay...that just made me laugh.

urban-urchin said...

I love the Mayor. That is so funny.

Waya said...

"Hey, what I see is what I'll say!" That's too cute!

Heather said...

Okay, I love this. I think it is adorable. Children are sweet and innocent and as long as they have been raised in a non-scary home they have nothing but genuine observations to impart. When I was about two, we lived in a very small, very white area. One day at a gas station I saw a black woman with a baby. I went right up and asked her if her baby was made of chocolate. I was a kid. I didn't know better! She laughed, smiled, and told me that God made us all different because he thought it was beautiful. I will never forget her.

Plain Jane Mom said...

Oh hell, I can't stop laughing about this! My coworkers think I'm insane. That is the funniest thing EVER!

jade tree said...

Hey! Thanks for checking out my little bee. And for the opportunity to scope out your blog. I'll definitely be tuning in for more adventures in sameness! :)

mad muthas said...

the mayor speaks as he finds. that's why he wins my vote!

Domestic Goddess said...

that is too funny! I hope the woman got a kick out of it too.

Starrlight said...

Got to love the comic timing of that kid!

Mrs. T said...

Hilarious.
When my Claire was about 2 we were at the grocery store and she was talking about all the girls, boys, men, women and babies she saw. It was cute until we saw the body double for "Pat" on SNL.
Claire: "There's a man!"
Me: "Sh..I that's a lady."
Claire (loud and clear): "That's not a lady!"
And damn, if she wasn't around every. single. corner.

Lisa said...

Oh how funny! Now I'm going to think of your little boy EVERY time I hear the words, "Pee-a-boo."

Kevin Charnas said...

The Mayor RULES!!! ALL HAIL THE MAYOR!!!

And his extremely enlightened, conscientious Mother who rocks and has great boobs.

See how good you are for me? I AM feeling better...
thanks, :)

- your other Kevin

Penny said...

That is sooo funny! LOL. Your boy is a comic - I love it!

I tried to pick the 'dirt' off the first black woman I ever saw. She was understanding.

It's interesting. My daughter's daycare is very diverse, so I am not too worried about color.. but I have yet to introduce her to the fact that some people are handicapped (my mother worked with the mentally and physically severely handicapped, so I was accustomed to it) and I am still trying to figure out how to handle explaining why a man has no legs.

Kids.. they are constantly teaching us.