Monday, January 22, 2007

I've Got To MOJAMETIZE!!

My neighbor Aaron is a famous MacIntosh Computer Programmer and the Chief Big Nerd at The Big Nerd Ranch.

If you know things about MacIntosh programming you have definitely heard of him.

My blog was acting all crazy today and I called Aaron to ask for help.

(The blog sidebar was showing up at the bottom of the page when viewed in Internet Explorer -- and it may still be doing that -- but I have wasted enough time trying to fix it and no longer care...)

Aaron said he'd be delighted to help me, but neglected to say,


"but I'm leaving for GERMANY for a week in TWO HOURS."

Details, details...

Aaron usually wants to do the good and kind thing.

His wife, my friend Michele, is a big fan of Oprah.

She was particularly excited about the show where Oprah gave each of her guests $1,000 and asked them to do what they could to make the world a better place with the money.

Michele was inspired.

One night at dinner she told Aaron all about the show.

They imagined what they would do for the common good with $1,000.

The next day, Aaron was walking downtown in our small city.

He saw a local street musician in his usual spot, but for the first time in Aaron's almost daily encounter with him, the man was without his instrument.

"Where's your guitar?" Aaron asked him.

The musician told Aaron that he had recently suffered an epileptic seizure while playing on the street.

The paramedics were called, he was taken to the hospital and somewhere in the mix his guitar was stolen.


Spontaneously, Aaron drove to a local music shop, purchased a middle-range, totally respectable acoustic guitar, returned and gave it to the musician.

The musician was awe struck. He was grateful. He took the guitar... and he ran like hell.

Aaron couldn't stop smiling all day.

For Christmas, he gave Michele $1,000 and simply told her to do some good with it.

So even though he is in Germany and can't COME OVER TO MY HOUSE RIGHT THIS VERY SECOND AND FIX MY BLOG, it is o.k. because Aaron is a good egg.

He errs on the side of friendly and agreeable in all human interactions.


Like the time several years ago when he was on a business trip in New York City and, like anyone visiting New York, he got in a taxi cab.

He told the driver where he wanted to go and the cab driver said,

"I've got to mojametize."

Aaron smiled and blinked politely at the man trying with all his mental strength (and he has a lot - remember he's a famous computer nerd) to understand what the man had said.

No luck.

Aaron continued with the smiling and the blinking.

The cab driver repeated himself,

"I said, I've got to mojametize!!!"

Again, Aaron tried hard to understand.

He decided "MOJAMETIZE" must mean something like "Let's Rock and Roll!!!"

Not knowing what else to do, Aaron raised a fist in
solidarity and enthusiastically yelled,

"RIGHT ON, MAN!!! MOJAMETIZE!!"

Now it was the cab driver who blinked and stared.

The cabbie shook his head and tried again, but slowed way down,

"I've. Got. Too. Much. Air. In. My. Tires."

To this day, if you're at Michele and Aaron's house when they are trying to get the whole family out the door, you'll hear them say,

"C'mon boys, it's time for this family to MOJAMATIZE!"

Love, love, love the big nerds. They are the best.

cabbie

46 comments:

WILLIAM said...

The guitar story is very cool. Inspiring really.

Mama's Moon said...

Heeheehee! The 'mojametize' thing is a crackup. Heaven bless the nerds of this earth trying to be cool-like with lingo designated for other means. That's why THEY make the big bucks, and not us really cool ones (ha!). And how very awesome for Aaron to replace that man's guitar! Too cool, too cool!

Sayre said...

Me and my dyslexic ears absolutely loved this!!!!

Soup and Bears in Suits - Mojamitize!!!!

The Sour Kraut said...

Aww, it's kind of like Pay It Forward. I love that he did that. It's very uplifting to hear things like this.

Panda said...

Yes! This is the sort of thing I need to read at 1.30 in the morning. Right on!

Gypsy said...

I kinda love that word.

MamaLee said...

I laughed OUT LOUD at that word.

If only we all could do some good like that every day. I'm still looking for my bra...

Melissa R. Garrett said...

Woo-hoo! What a fantastic post!

Jeff said...

Since no one else is telling you this, your layout looks fine in IE6 under Windows (at least from my desktop).

Your problem was probably caused by something simple in your layout template. You can email me (link in profile) if you need a hand and the local Mac nerd is busy with his leiderhosen.

deb said...

thanks for making me smile this morning.

Nicole said...

Sounds like you've got yourself a great neighbor. We all need a Big Nerd living next to us. So when can he call my husband about the $1000? OH, We don't get to buy something that we want with it? Bummer.

christina said...

Mojametize..it has a nice sound to it :)

croutonboy said...

Wow, I need a neighbor like that! That's some pretty good tech support. Of course he probably wouldn't be friends with me because I'd be saying things like, "Wow, it really sucked yesterday when I collapsed and lost my 80GB iPod...I really wish someone would just give me a new one..."

STOP . . . Mojametize!

Lisa said...

Those are some great stories...

You know how sometimes you'll talk to your spouse or friends about the stories you read on other peoples' blogs? I'll be telling your stories to someone in the future... (And of course telling them how wonderful you are!)

Sarah said...

Those are great stories, and so funny!

I have read your weight loss story, and thought it was an awesome tale. I'm proud of you and think you look awesome.

slackermommy said...

Not only inspirational but also hysterical!

Dan said...

Now I'm wondering if I have too much air in my tires ... and if I do, how the heck did that happen??

Nice post! Aaron sounds like a really nice nerd.

Mrs. Chicky said...

Aw, nerds are so sweet. And they're occasionally funny too. Who knew?

Blog Antagonist said...

I use IE and your blog looks fine. If you still need help, I'm married to the biggest nerd of all. He works very closely with Nerd Inc. He is a God. I'm sure I could convince him to grant you a blog miracle if you need it. :?)

Moobs said...

Over here they are airing a show called "Secret Miilionaoire" in which people with a lot of cash and either a conscience or an overwhelming desire to be on TV hang about in deprived communities incognito, identify the deserving and then hand out large cheques. Every week I cry like a baby - not at the generosity of the millionaires but at the fact that with a little digging in any community you can turn up people who in a quiet way are making peoples' lives better. Then it occurs to me I am not one of them and I cry all the harder.

carrie said...

Thank you for that, so nice to hear about some good being done in the world.


Carrie

Mel said...

"Mojametize" = brilliant.
BRILLIANT, I say.

jen said...

what lovely neighbors to have. and funny ones at that.

nerds, all of us. it's better that way.

karrie said...

Aaron sounds lovely!

Time to pajamatize a tot here...

Jhianna said...

"RIGHT ON, MAN!!! MOJAMETIZE!!"

I love his reaction - fantastic! And oh yeah, love the big nerds (or geeks, I think they like being called geeks).

carmachu said...

Very cool!

never heard of him.

Queen of the Mayhem said...

I swear before I read your post that it was going to be about some new fangled exercise plan! I envisioned some sort of Jazzercise on crack! Instead, I enjoyed your story of a nerd ( I LOVE NERDS!) who is doing his part to make the world a better place! Go Aaron!

If it makes you feel any better, I just spent the last 15 minutes trying to figure out how to delete a comment. ( Oh yeah baby....I am THAT good with computers!) Yeah, you know that little trash can at the bottom of each comment....guess what that is for?! I am a computer genius! :)

QT said...

Funny and inspirational at the same time - love it.

I really think I need teach my dog to do something when I command MOJAMETIZE!

Kevin Charnas said...

very cool...very cool.

and now, I'm feeling a little bit more inspired and me and my mojo are going to get mojomatized and go work out.

and what about him in Germany??? Ooohhh...so when Jessica needs help, it's alllll about Aaron.

Merry Mama said...

Cracks me up.

WHen my parents took a trip to Canada with my younger siblings, they had to gas up and at the time, gas prices had gone through the roof, so my dad gets in the car and he's all like "Fifty bucks." My mom says "FIFTY BUCKS????!!!!"

Forever after that, whenever a bird pooped on the windshield or the baby threw up or anything bad happened, my little brother would say "FIFTY BUCKS" just like it was the f-word, or an exclamation of jurassic proportions.

urban-urchin said...

You have awesome neighbors my friend. My husband is a big Mac geek. I'm gonna ask if he knows who this guy is...

Mignon said...

The thousand dollar story is awesome. I posted a semi-frivolous wish list on my blog before Christmas, and a friend sent me an e-mail a day later saying he'd "bought" me the charitable contribution I wished for. It made me cry. The best Christmas gift I've had as an adult, I think.

Christel said...

Hey OTJ - I'm a convert to your blog from Girl Exposed's blog. Love ya and love your Nerd Charming tale! My hubs, a BIG ENGINERD is a closet fan of yours, too.

Mignon said...

Oh - my next-door neighbor and friends own the only Mac shop here in town and he is a Mac fixer. How about that?

Actually, I'm too embarrassed to ever ask him to help when I have problems - I wouldn't want him to find all the p0rn in my archives...

KC said...

What a great guy. And I love how he gave his wife $1000 to do good.

Nerds rock.

pendlerpiken said...

I am most inspired by the fact that people like Aaron are actually out there. Thank you! I will start a tradition for myself by doing good with a sum of money every christmas, too!

Pgoodness said...

ROFLMAO! Great blog - love the charity and the Mojametize was freaking hilarious!!!h

liv said...

Oh. My. God. I am literally crying with laughter. Now I can more accurately describe any situation with this new word. True joy.

Becky said...

I'm married to a nerd... just not a highly paid computer programmer nerd. Mine is a "likes radios and other electronic gadgets" library security nerd. But I love him, anyway.

OTJ, your story was inspiring. The best I could do was to give half of my crap... er, belongings... to Good Will when I was cleaning out my house to move a few months ago. Most of it was pretty decent crap... er, stuff... too.

I was ROTFLMAO at the MOJAMETIZE part of the story. It is said those New Yorkers talk pretty darn fast!! But that's still a good one!

Lotta said...

The cab story is a riot - what a great and funny neighbor. Yet another reason why I want to move to the South.

bubandpie said...

I made it all the way through the post, smiling and thinking, "Nice post, quite funny." And then I scrolled back up and took one last look at the title, and somehow MOJAMETIZE made it past my defences and hit me straight in the tear ducts. ROFLMAO indeed.

As for Internet Explorer - I take the position that no serious blog reader would use such a thing. That is to say, my blog won't display properly on it either.

Mrs. T said...

Mojamatize, indeed.
Mr T's cousin works in a county hospital as a nurse. A patient informed her that her older son had a bad case of "Smilin Mighty Jesus". (Spinal Meningitis)

Belle said...

I wish there were more people like your friends.

And....I dream of someday owning a Mac.

wayabetty said...

That's a great story as usual OTJ! So, does this mean that your famous Apple dude can get you an iPhone or something?! There's a story of Steve Jobs and his design them in the Times a few weeks ago, and it's such a nice story of the "come back kid" and his bazillion dollars company.

Love love Macs but too much money.

Attila The Mom said...

What a fabulous story! Really made my day!

Mike said...

Sorry to bust your bubble. Mojametize is part of a joke that I heard at least 15 years ago. It's similar to the way you described it, but a little more "ethnic." Now that different people are using mojametize, it's turning into something of an urban myth.