Sunday, April 29, 2007

one plus joy

When I picked Jen up from the commuter rail station she was dressed in an outfit that combined "hooker fabulous" with a National Park Ranger Uniform.

Okay, okay... that's a total lie.

She was dressed just as you would expect her to be dressed - she was both comfortable and stunning.

In truth, she was more fabulously HOT than your wildest imagination.


The Mayor took one look at her and fell instantly and completely in love.

The Rooster, on the other hand, assumed Jen was a new babysitter and broke into heartbroken sobs. (Which I completely ignored. Is that wrong?)

Jen is the first person from TEH INTERNETS to visit The House of Joy and boy did we bring out the southern hospitality.

I welcomed her into our ever so carefully decorated, pure period, Early American Garage Sale Style home and
totally forgot to offer her a drink of any kind.

[It's so refreshing here!]

Then I abandoned her with The Mayor while K and I got dinner together.

[Oh, the hostess that is me!!!]

Meanwhile, out in the living room, The Mayor was so excited about her that I think he might have stopped just short of humping her leg.

In the kitchen, K skewered the Chicken Sate that had soaked for hours in a vat of fresh ginger.

We steamed sugar snap peas.

We pulled the baked sweet potatoes out of the oven and whipped up a cardamom, lime, ginger butter (heavy on the ginger.)

Finally, we cut up fresh mangoes, doused them in lime juice and were about to add an ASSLOAD OF FRESH GINGER when I thought to ask,

"Hey Jen, do you like ginger?"

"Only in small amounts," she called back.

The next thing Jen heard was the two adult managers of The House of Joy falling over laughing.

[Now is that or is that not what you call fine hostessing? I've got skillz.]

[She is going to be mad that I brought up the ginger.]

At some point her cell phone rang and she had to go out onto the porch to take a call from work and this caused her new, two-year old boyfriend to become hysterical.

[She is that good, people. The Mayor is in deep, deep, love.]

As tired as she was, strung out on west coast time, I dragged her out for an after dinner drink for an opportunity to talk to her without competition from my wee, love-drunk son.

I couldn't help but think how strange it was
to walk along beside her.

Because I have read her daily thoughts for six months or more, I might know things about her that
that her everyday friends do not.

At the same time, despite knowing all those things, I walked with a woman whose face was wholly new to me.

I was both as comfortable as I would be with a long-time friend and as akward as I would be on a first date.

I liked her a lot.

I was honored to meet her.

I hope her travels bring her back this way again sometime... because, you know, I have a LOT more ginger.

47 comments:

FENICLE said...

I'm sure she is going thru Ginger withdrawal. Sounds like a nice time!

Paige said...

Sounds fabulous! I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to meet her.

Speaking of: What's a hooker like me gotta do to score an invite to your house?

Flawed & Disorderly said...

How fun! In case I ever stop by, you should know I hate ginger. ;-D

Okay, I'm going to go look for the jacking off post. Apparently Ironman has recovered and keeps asking me if I've read it.

Did you Fed-Ex him some peanut butter treats?

Pgoodness said...

How cute that the Mayor was (is) love-drunk! I bet she gets that whole love-drunk thing a lot. I wonder if anyone has ever been love-drunk on me? Hmmm....
ANYWAY, sounds like a good time was had by all!
I like ginger, just for the record.
*grin*

Tabba said...

This post had me smiling from ear-to-ear.

slouching mom said...

Aww.

That's just how I thought your weekend with jen would go.

I feel contentment just thinking about it.

Blog Antagonist said...

I knew she would be total fabulousness. Pooh.

mohairpink said...

You guys freaking crack me UP.

flutter said...

So when I come back down south to visit my fabulous mother, I get to come over and have ginger poisoning, too, RIGHT?!?! heh

I am so glad you guys had fun, and I am surprised the whole house didn't fall stupid in love

jen said...

you know, i came home dreaming of ginger. and The Mayor. not necessarily in that order.

I loved every minute, friend. Thank you again.

jen said...

although it's safe to say that ginger is the new crack in the deeply south house of joy.

Jenny said...

hilarious!

Tracysan said...

Are you one of those people who eats all the ginger off the sushi platter? I bet you are!

Toni said...

LMAO! Sounds like you were a wonderful hostess!

Lucia said...

A delightful read! I could just imagine you and Jen having a great time together. I've never met a fellow blogger and have hesitations... I wonder if it's different for people who are totally gorgeous hot (like Jen).

Amber said...

How fun is that? My first bloggity blogger came by my house last month and I feel like I have a friend for life.

Or a stalker... :-)

mamatulip said...

That's just AWESOME.

So is your re-cap. Nice and full of GINGER. ;)

Rebecca said...

Perhaps you should write a book on suthern ettiket?

moodswingingmommy said...

Aww, there's nothing cuter than a preschooler with a crush.

Too funny, and I'm quite happy to share the role of world's worst hostess with you.

karrie said...

She writes in such a friendly,down-to-earth manner that I'm not surprised to hear that she is awesome in person.

Cardamom, lime and ginger are three of my favorite ingredients. Sounds amazing.:)

Janet a.k.a. "Wonder Mom" said...

That is too cool.
Glad you had fun.

crazymumma said...

Damn...I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall. Sounds great.

Trying to keep my bitterness on the down low up here.

Little Monkies said...

You met JEN?!?! I am so jealous. Two of the coolest womens I know together in the same spot. No fair!

Jodi the Librarian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kgirl said...

there is nothin' sweeter than baby love. I bet Jen was just as hooked on him.

Erika, Plain Jane Mom said...

I'm jealous that you've gotten to meet in real life. That must have been such a trip!

Jodi the Librarian said...

I well remember my first get-togther with a group of internet friends. My husband freaked out a bit, but it was a super experience. That was 9+ years ago and I am still fast friends with those folks. We've had a half-dozen major get-togethers and countless minor visits (2 or 3 peeps in the henhouse) over the years.

The internet just offers a new way of being friends. Friends without Borders? I mean, sure there are nuts out there, but who is to say that my next door neighbor isn't running from the law and had plastic surgery so his mobster family won't recognize him?

leeanthro said...

Your son is too funny. My daughter fell in love with the cable guy the other day. She kept cupping her cheeks in her hands and telling me "He really likes me." And she mimmicked everything he did. I was hesitent to tell me husband, lest he be jealous of her affections for another man.

Queen Karana said...

"Because I have read her daily thoughts for six months or more, I might know things about her that that her everyday friends do not."

Uh-yeah, what's up with that? You know more about me then my so-called 'best friend' does. It's SO true. What a strange world this blog-land is.

Lotta said...

You realize your new nickname is now Ginger. Or hers is?

Melina said...

I love ginger, you'll have to send me the recipe for your meal, it sounded fabolous.

MMMMM Ginger MMMMMM!!!

QT said...

I am glad you two had a fabulous time, tho I knew it would be.

For the record, I love ginger and that dinner sounds like it was DE-lish!

urban-urchin said...

totally jealous...

Slackermommy said...

It is kind of weird when you first meet someone you know so much personal info about but have never seen in the flesh. For me they often look and sound much different from what I envisioned and that feels weird.

Augs Casa said...

does this mean if/when I visit you are going to break out the mexican food for me? Sounds like a wonderful meeting. Oh and the Mayor, he's all boy, woo hoo!

Kendra said...

Very cool indeed!

Cece said...

Internet friends ROCK! Seriously. I've been friends w/a group of woman for about 4.5 years & they are the BEST friends in my life. We vacation together. Whenever any of us are in each other's town/state we make a point to get together. Its true love when you let your internet friends meet your family! lol Glad you had a great time.

Hey, Joy, easy on the ginger. lol

Kyla said...

Awesome! At least you cooked...I probably would have ordered pizza. Hahaha!

Lil said...

This made me laugh...and cry...because I wanna meet Jen too!

No, no...my eyes welled up with tears because the moment you describe walking beside a woman whose shared so much of her raw self is so beautiful...

Lil

Mimi said...

Well put! I had a buncha bloggy ladies over for the first time this weekend. It was warm and wonderful and I knew all about their intimate lives but I kept wanting to call them by their pseudonyms.

The Mayor. So passionate. Such good taste.

Lawyer Mama said...

I'm so incredibly jealous that you got to meet Jen and that Jen got to meet you!

Ruth Dynamite said...

I think it's so cool that you two actually met, and bonded over ginger (just a little) and such.

The Medium Swede said...

I've always like Mary Ann better than Ginger.

carrie said...

The Mayor must be an incredibly good judge of character.

Glad you ladies had fun!!!

Carrie

NotSoSage said...

But I must admit that, at first, I thought you were going to say that you left her with The Mayor as you and K disappeared for a little Bow Chicka Bow Bow. You're a better hostess than I expected.

Oh, man. I'm drooling here over the meal (and the company, too, of course). I would have aked for MORE ginger, please! (Can I come over now?)

And you described that weird tension so well: comfortable AND awkward.

venessa said...

Lucky Jen. Lucky Jessica. Very jealous Venessa. :)

Momish said...

Talk to the hand!

You two suck!

Ok, I think I got that out of my system now and can actually be happy for you both. (I am so mature in that way).

And yeah, I can imagine how strange and exciting it is at once. I know I would blow a first date like that for sure, but you? You are a pro, my friend. Smooth.