Thursday, March 06, 2008

March Afternoon

Late this afternoon I was at work in my home office when I heard someone crying.

I lifted my ear to the sound.

It was a child crying.

It sounded like it was coming from my front lawn.

I peered out the window but the only thing I could see was my neighbor's car in the driveway next door.

I stepped out on my front porch to an unseasonably warm and beautiful day.

The child was crying hard... raging... really yelling.

"I hate... I really HATE..."

I couldn't catch whatever it was that was hated.

I noticed that my neighbor's car window was rolled down.

My neighbors have two boys -- the older one is nine and the younger one is eight.

They are both long-haired, extraordinarily good natured, skate boarder dudes.

Whenever you ask either one of them how they are doing they ALWAYS respond with an enthusiastic,

"GREAT!"

I found the nine year old sobbing in the car's back seat.

"What's the matter, bud?" I asked.

The look of surprise on his face was priceless. I had startled the heck out of him.

He sucked his sobs in as quickly as he could manage and said,

"Nothing."

"Hmmmm... that sounds like more than nothing," I said.

"Well... I'm just not happy with how some things are going right now," he told me.

"Is there anything I can do or do you just need to have a good cry?" I asked.

His face was red hot.

"I guess I just need a good cry," he said.


I nodded.

"I understand. A good cry sure does help me sometimes. I just wanted to check on you, but I'll leave you to it."

I walked back into my house, grabbed my keys and left an hour earlier than usual to pick up The Mayor and The Rooster.

We went to a park we'd never been to before and soaked in the warm sunshine.

43 comments:

liv said...

poor little pumpkin. looking at our kids, i think that 9 seems awfully big, but sometimes it seems awfully small.

meno said...

How respectful of you.

Grim Reality Girl said...

Well done in giving him space but showing you cared. Your description broke my heart...

CamiKaos said...

What an awesome thing to say to an awesome little guy.

Faerie Mom said...

You rock. I hope if one of my boys is ever feeling this way that he has someone who shows they care like this.

BB said...

How I wish someone show me that gesture in my younger day.

Lotta said...

You are so excellent at respecting people's space and understanding their needs. Tell me why you aren't a therapist?

Sugarplum's Mom said...

aww poor guy. It's so great that you checked on him and then gave him his space. I bet that will be one of the best things he will always remember about you.

Cakabaker said...

That was very thoughtful of you, I'm sure he will appreciate it when he looks back in years to come. Yes, sometimes we all just need a good cry to sort/work things out.

cce said...

Poor skater boy, I love that you just checked and moved on and went on to rescue your own children to inject a little fun in their day. Good instincts my friend!

Circus Kelli said...

Just... wow.

Kyla said...

You are a kind soul.

mamatulip said...

He will remember that moment with you forever, I'm sure of it. He'll remember that you cared enough to come out and talk to him.

motherbumper said...

It's so frustrating to be a kid sometimes - I still remember how that felt. I wish some adult had done what you did for him. I bet you brought him some relief through understanding and respect.

Sayre said...

A good cry is so cathartic - even if nothing big is going on. You letting him know that it's okay (even if he is a boy) is going to be so valuable to him. I tell my boy the same thing - sometimes you just need to cry.

furiousBall said...

that was great of you, seriously. you made him ok with being down.

WILLIAM said...

You should have told him to "Man Up"

LceeL said...

Very sensitive of you. You didn't embarrass him, yet you let him know he wasn't without a sympathetic ear.

Catizhere said...

You are probably one of the nicest people I have never met.

Really. You make me want to be a better person.

Don Mills Diva said...

Poor little guy - hope he's okay.

megachick said...

you are so compassionate, it's incredible.

and the way he communicated his feelings was great, especially for a kid.

Day Dreamer said...

Makes me want to hug my kids.

Queen of Shake-Shake said...

You're a great neighbor.

Jo Beaufoix said...

Bless him. It must have helped to know you cared, and to be treated like a big boy. Hope he's ok.

Above Average Joe said...

If all our neighbors treated each other this way the world would be a better place.

Jennifer said...

How do you always know just what to do?

Deb said...

Oh, I hope another mother does that for my boy sometime, and I hope that boy remembers this moment someday when his wife is sobbing her eyes out over a Hallmark commercial.

~JJ! said...

You always know what to say.

You're probably the only one who cared enough to check on him.

Jenni said...

I'll hate when my boys are too old for hugs and kisses and just need an ear.

Good for you for being so compassionate and insightful.

Corgimom said...

I've learned to provide that same space for my son. He doesn't often need to "just cry," but when he does he knows it's ok.

Best thing about this post, IMO? FuriousBall went all soft and gooey for a change. Hehe.

bethtrue said...

Poor little buddy. I am curious who's idea (his or his mom/dad's) it was to go sit in the car!...

uurchin said...

poor kid- as meno said you respected him. you're a good neighbor and mom.

Kevin Charnas said...

Priorities. And keeping them in-check...right on.

Have I told you lately how I think that you're a total badass?

No?

Well, you are.

dawn224 said...

"I'll leave you to it." He's gonna grow up to love dark haired women with the mighty wind :)

Mimi said...

Yup. Sometimes you really do need to just cry it out. Well done.

Karen MEG said...

What a cool neighbour you are, and a cooler mom.

Emily said...

I love it that you checked in with him, instead of assuming that he was just being an obnoxious preteen, which is my general first thought when an adolescent is acting up.

I also love it that you "left him to it."

carrie said...

Aw, as the mother of 2 boys around that age, I can say that I think you are wonderful.

Hope he's okay.

Kelley said...

yeah. Sometimes, like today, you just need to cry it out.

How apt that I come here today.

R said...

It is so touching reading your post. Just a moment of understanding and concern really brightened up that boy's day.

Anonymous said...

It's so hard to determine if they

need someone or have to be left

alone....good job



maunie

suchsimplepleasures said...

poor kids...that was nice of you to check on him.
so jealous of warm sunshine...and being able to go to parks...sigh

TRS said...

you are a good friend.

to everyone!