Thursday, April 17, 2008

Eleven Windows

jen did this post called seven windows of my soul.

It inspired me.

Although... this one goes to eleven.

[In no particular order.]

Windows to My Soul

1. Sitting on my grandparent's back porch and seeing the tree line on the horizon beyond the pasture.

2. Flying and feeling weightless high above the Zambezi river and Victoria Falls over Zambia & Zimbabwe. Seeing a 360 degree rainbow, a full circle.

3. The stare of a young Rajastani woman's kohl lined eyes through my dusty bus window in the Indian desert.

4. Watching the night sky from the Wat in Doi Mae Salong, Thailand as it filled with streaks of light from a Leonid meteor shower.

5. My frozen memory of my grandmother’s face at the very last moment of her life.

6. Alone, swimming into the sunset at Kendwa Beach in Zanzibar.

7. Walking with lions on the veld in Gweru, Zimbabwe.

8. Visiting the grave of Stephen Biko.

9. Watching the twin tower's fall.

10. My first look at the faces of my children.

11. Holding hands with my love on an autumn walk in Pound Ridge Reservation in Cross River, New York.






************

jen didn't offer an explanation about how "windows of my soul" should be interpreted.


I think that's what prompted me to write on the topic.

What does it conjure for you?

You are welcome to join in this writing prompt. Simply add the links below to the bottom of your post and let me know to add yours to the list!

jen with seven windows of my soul
Jessica with Eleven Windows

Tracy from Tiny Mantras
Defiant Muse from Musings...
LSM with Windows
Mrs. Prufrock
Sugarplum's Mom
jakelliesmom
Arwen
Faking It
Sophisticat
Magpie with windows
Katy with windows
Mary with seven windows of my soul
BA with come to my windows
Slouchy with there are places I remember
Ivy Brown's Stoop
Dragon Woman


20 comments:

WILLIAM said...

Oh Biko, Biko, Because Biko.

You can blow out a candle but you cannot blow out a fire. Once the flames begin to catch the wind will blow it higher.

Annie said...

Can I say I'm a teensy bit jealous of your Vic Falls and Zimbabwe windows. I was born 200 yard from Victoria Falls, and lived for 2 years in Zambia - yet I remember none of it - some day I'll get to see it with my own eyes, again.

Anonymous said...

You have the frozen memory of Granny and I have one of Ady. I pray for those frozen memories to fade and be replaced by their faces with the smiles or looks of love that we so often saw there. Love, Mom

Memaw's memories said...

How did you come to travel to all these exotic places?

TZT said...

Thank you for taking me so many places that I hadn't imagined before. And, after reading her comment... what a wonderful mom you have.

I love that this has turned into a community prompt.

Peace out!
Tracy

jakelliesmom said...

Not quite as exotic as some, I've posted mine, too.

kittenpie said...

Mine would have to include the perfect spring day for my nature-loving side. Snuggling my face into my child's hair for my softest part. Laying my head on Misterpie's chest to hear his heart for my contented moments. Delight at finding th perfect thing for someone makes my giving part sing. Facing down rowdy teens at the library for my hidden tougher side. And walking into the Thomas Fisher Rare Books library and looking up for the side that is awed by a high church of books.

What an interesting meme.

NotSoSage said...

I visited the place where Biko attended school and shivered just to know that we walked the same paths.

I loved sneaking a peak into these windows, Jess.

Sugarplum's Mom said...

Not nearly so fantastic as yours, but I decided to play too!

Sugarplum's Mom

Lisa said...

What an incredible idea. How very cool.

(I wish there was a way for us readers to also SEE the photos you took of the happy experiences. Sounds amazing.)

MsPrufrock said...

A great idea, and I am riveted by this prompt. I'm jealous by your travels and can't begin to imagine how magical those places are.

I've done my own, such as it is.

Emily said...

Oh, I'd love to look out some of those windows.

LSM said...

Thanks for the inspiration! http://somewhereinthesuburbs.wordpress.com/2008/04/17/windows/

Arwen said...

I posted mine, yours are fantastic!

Jennifer said...

These are so wonderful. So bittersweet, some of them, and so full of meaning.

I just did mine, too, and included your View list here -- but I see I'm already missing some. Views are spreading like wildfire. Whee!

Sophistacat said...

Thanks for passing this on! I've added my windows. :)

http://sophistacat.blogspot.com/

Redneck Mommy said...

What a beautiful pic.

I still stand by what the view of my soul window looks like.

Any where, any time I had all three of my children with me.

What I would give for just one more minute.

urban-urchin said...

Wow Jess- You have done and seen a ton in your short life.

What wonderful windows! Alright I'm game mine will be up tomorrow.

Magpie said...

i love reading these - and seeing how alike we all are.

baby~amore' said...

Amazing - very inspirational and thank you for sharing .
I will do this during the week.