Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Protective Instincts

"Mama, help," he said.

I was washing dishes, up to my elbows in soap suds, when I turned to look.

The chord from the blinds was wrapped tightly around his neck.

I must have looked panicked because he said,

"It's okay.  I can breathe."

The next thing I knew, I was kneeling in front of him unwinding the chord and sobbing.

He looked confused and worried.  I'm pretty sure he's never seen me react quite that way.

I tried to pull him in close after I got the chord off but he wouldn't let me.  He was busy  concentrating on my face.

I kept repeating, 

"Please don't ever do that... please don't ever do that again."

The Mayor pushed me gently back and put his hands around my face.

"What is it, Mama? Why are you crying?"

I tried to explain that he could get hurt and that he should never wrap anything around his neck but my crying had frightened him and I don't think he could connect my reaction to my words.

"Are you mad at The Mayor?" The Rooster asked.

She was also startled and looking at me curiously.

Hell, even I was a little startled by my extremely emotional response.

"No, Roo.  I'm not mad at him.  I just got scared.  That SCARED me," I told them, still crying.

Something about the possibility of The Mayor strangling himself coupled with the visual image of him trapped in the chord rendered me instantly hysterical.

It was so visceral, so instantaneous.

"Promise that you won't tell Daddy," The Mayor begged.

I agreed not to tell, but later I asked him about this request.

"Why don't you want me to tell Dad, Mayor? Are you afraid he'll be angry and you'll get in trouble?"

The Mayor shook his head.

"No, mom.  I'm worried that it will make him as sad as it made you."

He looked at me and seemed so completely earnest.

 "I don't want there to be anymore crying in our family."



29 comments:

Cakabaker said...

Wow, that was scary! So glad that he is alright and hopefully you are too.

Don Mills Diva said...

My heart is in my throat.

Terrifying! I would have reacted exactly the way you did.

Catizhere said...

Holy crap Jess,
That scared me.

So glad that he's ok. And I wish for you that there will be no more crying in your family.

Little Nut Tree said...

oh but bless him!

And bless you! That would be scary and I can understand your reaction, totally.

Did he understand later? Did you try to explain again?

Bless & bless & bless!

yummysushipajamas said...

What sweet, smart children you are raising. You're a good mom and an absolute inspiration.

Sayre said...

Oh, poor baby (all of you)! When your gut wrenches, tears come. That's just the way it is.

Miss Grace said...

Reading this, first I panicked for you, then I got all emotional and weepy about something ever happening to my baby, and then I got even weepier at the Mayor's wish for no more tears. I'm at work, so I'm pretty sure everyone thinks I'm losing my mind.

Carroll said...

Empathetic tears here too, but also giggling just a little because, after all, you didn't promise him you wouldn't tell The Internet!

Day Dreamer said...

That kid is incredibly beautiful hearted.

I'm so glad everything is okay.

Your reaction, I'm sure, will be reason to not do that ever again.

I felt your panic as I was reading that. I need a drink.

Nancy said...

Very scary ... shorten and tie up those cords.

Thanks for sharing to remind others about the dangers.

Nette @ Smiling Mom said...

Who is this child of yours? What an amazing ability to show concern and see past his own nose. His reaction is what sent me into tears!

Angella said...

I would have done the same. And have when the kids thought it was funny to put a plastic bag on their heads.

So, so scary.

thatgirlblogs said...

I cried reading it (wuss). I understand. You realize in that instant how quickly we could lose someone we love so passionately.

I'm so glad it was a false alarm. Hopefully he will never touch a cord ever again! Or cross the street, or eat grapes or...

Bon said...

jeebus. i started to cry just reading.

love to you all.

NotAMeanGirl said...

Oh Jess! That would have cause the same reaction in me! I'm so sorry you had to go through that.

I think The Mayor broke my heart a little... so, very, sweet.

Gretchen said...

Scary!

Would it make you feel better to know that my son has gotten lost at walmart, nearly pulled a dresser onto himself, and shut himself in a spare refrigerator?

Probably not. It was worth a shot, though.

Glad everyone's ok!

Mrs. B. Roth said...

Good gravy, thanks. I've been meaning to "fix" the blind cords around here (some are still in a dangerous loop, rather than the slightly less noose like strands. I think I'll just go do that now.

Aimee Greeblemonkey said...

I love your family.

Lottifish said...

Okay, that kid is too adorable.

Carey said...

Scary story!

The Sour Kraut said...

I completely understand. I was at a public pool with our younger son. I took my eye off him for no longer than 30 seconds. When I looked back, he wasn't where I expected him to be. I frantically searched all the heads in the crowded pool. When I spotted him, he was in water that was covering his mouth, then nose, then mouth, then nose.... I jumped in with everything on -- hat, shoes, etc. because it was faster than calling to the lifeguard. I was completely freaked out the rest of the day and ended up with a severe migraine later that evening. It is the most frightening thing I've experienced as a mom.

I'm sorry you had a similar scare.

-The Shiny Happy Mama- said...

Oh...sniff, sniff. I would have reacted the exact same way.

Rockzee said...

Great post. Comments working now.

Kyla said...

Oh man. Those near misses. Heartstopping.

The Laundress said...

wow. just. wow.

(In)Sanity Gal said...

Now I'm crying at work. What a tender-hearted little guy. Although I can't help but giggle when I think about the fact that he's also in the boob phase and loves Darth Vader. :)

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Okay, just broke into tears.

Not cool, J. NOT. COOL.

(glad he's okay because, wow. Yeah.)

Amy @ Milk Breath and Margaritas said...

That's so scary - I don't blame you for being so upset. We had a little incident last week where our 6 year old was chasing the almost 2 year old with a plastic grocery bag and was trying to put it on his head. Hubs freaked and 6 got a very serious talk about putting anything over someone's head or face. But they don't know --! It's just terrifying.

Mrs. Schmitty said...

Oh my God Jessica. That is so scary. I'm so glad he is okay. Things like that can happen so quickly, I've had things like that happen with my kids. Hugs sweetie!