Thursday, November 13, 2008

Police Work

"She's not being nice!" he wailed.

[Gah! Sisters!]

"Mayor, don't let her take away your power."

Remembering the strategy, The Mayor sucked in a gulp of air and righted his ship.

He is learning to master of his own composure.

The Rooster is skilled at pushing his buttons.

She can make The Mayor cry by saying,

"You're not my friend!  You can't come to my birthday party!"

[Her birthday is in August, but this threat works all year-round.]

Lately, this thing about holding on to your own power has really been working for us.

When Roo has a go at The Mayor, we remind him that she's doing it specifically for the sport of making him mad.

"If you allow her to make you angry," we tell him, "then she wins."

The Mayor, addicted to winning, finds his poker face and steals himself to his sister's wicked taunts.

"Try to make me angry," he dares her.

When she starts in on him again he remains passive and still, unaffected.

"You're winning now," I whisper to him.

He won't betray his game face, but I see the slightest smile at the corner of his mouth. 

His sister scowls, her fun has ended.

[Gah! Mothers!]




22 comments:

Stimey said...

You are so smart. I'm going to try this.

Leslie said...

What is it with little girls and the not inviting you to their birthday party? Julia's birthday is in June. She told Lucy she wasn't invited to her party last night. Of course, Lucy is only 7 months old and could have cared less about what Julia was saying, but Julia's intention was to be mean.

I guess birthday parties are bigger deals than I thought.

Vodka Mom said...

That's exactly what the kindergartners talk about ALL DAY LONG. Who is going to who's party. Even when the party is in AUGUST.

Good work mommy cop.

Patience said...

Nice hat. Surely you're not dropping Park Rangers for Policemen?!

Miz UV said...

Hah, I love it! Of course, when you have two girls, they enjoy the drama and turn on you if you try to stop it. Cute hat. :)

Mama Goose said...

Oh, this is brilliant. My little O is the master at taunting his always must win big brother. I must use this.

Loth said...

Forget police work, don't you think the UN would work much better if it was staffed entirely by mothers of small children?

JoeinVegas said...

There she is, officer Joy, on the job bringing peace and happiness to the neighborhood of Oz.

Anonymous said...

Sounds a lot like the "you might be right" advice we gave to offset the "attack" of big sister ;-) Love Grandma Seattle.

mark said...

So you're the fun police, eh? Keep up the good work.

Heather, Queen of Shake Shake said...

Would you teach this to Payton? Because like stranger danger, I've tried and tried but to no avail.

We could stop by after the GA Aquarium?

DysdHousewife said...

Hey Chickee! Long time no blog! (for me anyway, I see that you are still up to your same old tricks- LOL) I wonder, if this reverse psyc thing would work with my two teen-tweens. I am going to try it!!

Schmutzie said...

You are being featured on Five Star Friday!
http://www.fivestarfriday.com/2008/11/five-star-friday-edition-32.html

SUEB0B said...

You are a smarty.

Assertagirl said...

Hell, I'm going to try to remember MY power the next time someone makes me angry...

Ellen said...

Oh, this post made me LAUGH! When I was a kid, I used to chant "You're not going to have a birthday party!" to my little sister any time of the year, and the threat always worked on her.

I have to brag a little, and I'm new to your blog so I don't mean to seem pushy, but my son, in a special-needs school, met Arianna Huffington today! I'm a big fan of her site. He charmed her! Here's the video!
http://lovethatmax.blogspot.com/2008/11/max-is-famous-well-kinda-sorta.html

flutter said...

s-m-r-t!

Emily N said...

My 5 yr old son Jack takes karate, and one of the things they do is "focus face" where the kids are supposed to stay perfectly still and not laugh or even smile while the karate instructors jump around them and wiggle their fingers in their faces and so on, trying to get them to laugh. I believe they do it as part of character development, to teach kids to be able to focus but also not to be too affected by things they shouldn't be affected by. Like your sister taunting you!

carrie said...

Tell me that hat saw a little action after the kids went to bed . . .

And yes, mommies ruin ALL the fun, I hear this on a daily, hourly, momentary basis!

Ben and Bennie said...

Hey, you maybe on to something about folks in uniform, and not just park rangers. ;)

Kyla said...

Well done!

Penny said...

EXCELLENT, OTJ! Pure genious.