Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Sore Loser

It seemed like we had a "Halloween Hangover" all weekend.


The four of us were dragging.

By Sunday afternoon, it was clear that I had a bad cold, the children had eaten too much sugar and K had taken ENOUGH.

After the obligatory use of a Disney film to absorb a bit of Sunday, the children begged to play cards.

K launched a three-way game of War.

"One, Two, Three... DRAW," he said.

The Mayor, The Rooster and K each flipped over a card.

[I watched from my horizontal parenting position on the couch.]

Every time The Rooster lost a hand, she snatched her card back, pressed it close to her chest and wiggled back and forth as if her whole body were saying, 

"NO!"

The Mayor, in a great act of maturity, accepted her idiosyncratic play style and focused on the cards won and lost between himself and his father.

"Rooster isn't playing right," he shrugged.

"No she isn't" K said, sighing.  "That's how your mother plays, too."

[Rooster's not the only one in this family who doesn't like losing.]

7 comments:

WILLIAM said...

War. What is it good for? absolutey Nothing...Say it again.

Lisa Milton said...

I love your steadfast devotion to horizontal parenting.

I see the handbook in your horizon...

Vodka Mom said...

I'm with Rooster.

One of my little kiddos at school said that McCain thought war was fun. That was a tough discussion.

Ben and Bennie said...

One of my brothers was so competitive that me and the youngest bro quit playing board games with him unless my mom or dad refereed. He's now a very successful attorney. Go figure.

Anonymous said...

Rooster plays the same way I used to play. I even made up a game when I was little to be sure that I wouldn't lose. I called it Kacee Wins. I thought it was a great game.

P.S Rooster looked adorable in her Halloween coustume! ~ Cousin Kacee

Mimi said...

Hm. I wrote about a disconcerting resemblance between the munchkin and me today ....

Expatriate Chef said...

My brother used to throw the Parchesi men and board across the room ... heh.