Thursday, December 04, 2008

Always Pleasantly Surprised

K and I are big on making sure we set our expectations right.

It is not uncommon for one of us to call the other during the work day to say,

"I'm THINKING ABOUT IT, so you'd better THINK ABOUT IT too. I don't want you to reject me later tonight."
[A little advanced notice works pretty well for us. I mean, once you get to thinkin' about it you get all... "who's too tired? I'm not too tired."]

Sometimes on the way to the movies we'll discuss how bad the film is likely to be so that we have plenty of room to be pleasantly surprised.

"Good thing we are paying the babysitter $4,500 to go out tonight because this movie is probably going to stink, right?!"

When I was pregnant with The Mayor, K and I decided to set our expectations such that we'd never be disappointed in our child's performance. We went around chanting,

"My child is going to be average in every way."
So yesterday, I set off for my first ever parent teacher conference where The Mayor's teacher showed me samples of his work.

She pulled out a picture of a granola bar pasted to a piece of construction paper. Next to it, The Mayor had written:


GRNOL BR


A slow, proud smile spread across my face.

18 comments:

furiousBall said...

i'm with The Mayor, screw those A's

Vodka Mom said...

That just made my day.

CM said...

I have read this post three times and somehow "GRNOL BR" makes me laugh out loud every time. I don't know, maybe it's the whole idea of labeling a picture of a granola bar. I wish somebody would call that my "work."

I think your kid might be a genius.

Julie said...

Only the A's are left out; what is he trying to tell us?????

And the first part concerning sexual innuendo is making me THINK ABOUT IT. Hawt.

Patience said...

Dang it! Now I'm thinking about it!!

mark said...

BRILLINT!

Sarcastic Mom said...

Whoa, that's one smart cookie, err, Granola Bar.

Incidentally, I always eat the A's off my Granola Bar first, too. They're the best part. ;-)

flutter said...

that is perfect

Merrily Down the Stream said...

A future Picasso!

Hetha said...

Niiiiiiice!

DysdHousewife said...

He is saving his "A's" for the report cards!! OH YEAH.

Little Monkies said...

Grlfrnd,

You and K are so FREAKIN' smart, that kid's got it MADE in the brains dept.

Looks too, but we are focusing on brains at this moment.

Gorgeous.

P.S. I swam today. :)

Amanda said...

And kept going straight through the 'daks.

Gorgeous.

jeanie said...

I used to accuse my daughter of secret Czech heritage, with her lack of vowels.

jakelliesmom said...

Reading this, I got the same smile.

Anonymous said...

The teacher did explain that leaving out vowels is developmentally appropriate at that age, right? Actually, the fact that he got all of the consonants and one of the vowels is pretty advanced for the age of 4.

(former kindergarten teacher here)

Patois said...

Totally smart kid you got, but you know that, right?

Rima said...

That's my kind of RTWRK, man.