Friday, January 16, 2009

And Now For A Guest Post From My Husband!

I listened in on a very long conference call yesterday, so long in fact that we had to take a couple of breaks.

I kept my speaker phone on during the breaks, instead of hanging up and calling back in each time.

During these interludes, phone-hold “muzak” came on.

I tinkered away on my computer while this shiny, polished tune washed over me.

Slowly, it dawned on me that I recognized the melody.

I was certain I knew the tune, but I couldn’t place it.

You know how muzak can be?

You don’t pay attention to it until you suddenly do and then you must know what song that used to be, in its youth?

You rock your head back and forth just a little to the tune, maybe close your eyes or look up, trying to access some long-dormant pathway in your cortex.

For me, figuring it out typically amounts to remembering the words; what are the words that go with that tune?

What are they?

They’re on the tip of my tongue.

“But, the boy in the station…”

No, that’s not it.

Oh, yeah,
“But, the dog in the station doesn’t need a vacation as the people rush by in
grey.”

Harpua.

Boy, did I feel old.

*****************************************

In the late eighties, K lived in Burlington, Vermont and spent a lot of time in small clubs and dorm basements listening to four good musicians play funky music.

Those four guys were the band Phish.

14 comments:

Lindsey said...

I read you every day - I love your blog. And my husband was at UVM in the late 80s and is a biiiiig Phish fan. So now I can really relate!

www.adesignsovast.com

Lindsey Mead

Stimey said...

I'm sorry, but Harpua can't be Muzak. Is nothing sacred?

Mary G said...

Hi K. Very good point. When the music of your youth is public domain, what are you?
Wait, don't answer that!

kittenpie said...

Hmm. I guess they are counting on people like me, who have never heard Phish and won't therefore recognize it and get unsettled. i have heard some weird stuff from the 80s made muzak, like Madonna, not to mention Phil Collins, who was kind of muzak to start with.

Mommy2Joe said...

If you would have told me all those years ago, when I smelled a bit of patchouli and wore anklets that jingled, if you would have told my bleary-eyed hippie dancing self that I would one day be hearing that music while on hold? Well, lets just say I never would have believed it.

I kind of still don't. Wow.

liliannattel said...

Old or arrived?

John Ross said...

OH, bless your heart(s)...That ain't old...Phish is yet one of those "new good youngster bands" from the second time I was in college, at the start of my "second Life" when other students called me the old guy.....

and THAT as ten years ago....

amy turn sharp of doobleh-vay said...

that rocks! I saw them so much in college...lovely!!! I have jam day with my kids now. What cracks me up is that in college we would trade bootleg TAPES. so long ago. rock on!

movin' down the road said...

Wow. K is old.
When I was growing up, my parents had the same stories of seeing Tina Turner in small clubs. Once upon a time...in the olden days.

Patois said...

And now I feel even THAT much older.

mo.stoneskin said...

Funk K? Shame on you.

Apryl's Antics said...

Oh no they di-int!

JoeinVegas said...

An office mate from long ago was a Phish phreak. Hit all the concerts on the west coast, traded tapes, loved 'em. For me it was hearing old Rolling Stones songs as background at Home Depot.

Karen said...

the worst is being in the dentist's chair, under sedation, and sort float into reality knowing that you know that song that is in the air. Crap, how old is that!