Monday, January 19, 2009

The King Defense

The Mayor loves to eat out and this causes a fight routinely every evening as we leave daycare.

"Where are we going now, mom?"

"Home."

"No! I don't want to go home! I want to eat dinner at a restaurant!"

[Relentless argument continues...]

On Friday, The Mayor took it a step further, trying to physically restrain from leaving the play yard and heading for the car.

He grabbed my winter coat by the belt and pulled with all his might.

He tried kicking me in the shins.

He took it far enough that I was embarrassed by him (and I'm not easily embarrassed).

I tried to keep my voice even and told him there would have to be a consequence because his behavior was unacceptable.
"No!" he screamed, "I don't want to have a consequence!"

I tried to find my Zen Motherhood Super Powers... I get so tired of this fight.

Somehow I managed to get him into our car.
"You're being mean to me, Mommy!" he shouted.

[As if! Other way around, yo!]
"You know what?" he yelled.

"What, Mayor?" I said calmly (through gritted teeth).

"Martin Luther King, Jr. wouldn't want you to treat me this way. He
wouldn't want you to be rude to me EVEN if I was being rude to you."

I attempted to respond,
"I... well... it..."

He caught me off guard.

The MLK Defense!

Gah! Foiled again!

[Should have invoked The Golden Rule...]

*************************

Happy King Day!

We're off to a service project.

Make it a Day On, not a Day Off!

25 comments:

WILLIAM said...

I have a dream that one day, the Mayor can go to the golden arches anytime he wished.

Little Monkies said...

DUDE. You are so screwed.

(ROFLMAO).

Mary G said...

He's got you. On toast. Laughing. Sorry.

Margaret said...

Ah, the dreaded MLK defense!

My six year old told me all about Dr. King this weekend: How he made it fair for everyone, so we can all drink out of the same water fountains because of his work. We had a whole discussion about it, and not once did skin color come up.

I am perplexed. Did the school not focus on the reasons MLK had to fight for civil rights? Did my son just seize on the equality and fairness aspect of it, and not see "race" as the only factor upon which peole are segregated or discriminated against? Am I happy or concerned about this?

verygoodyear said...

Ohhh geez. Put a fork in you, you're done!

@ Margaret: That is interesting... doesn't it seem totally backwards to praise a man for promoting equality, yet negate his reasons why? I just don't get schools these days. Everyone is so concerned with making everyone feel "special" that it seems like things are getting more homogenized, rather than our children being able to celebrate and learn from their differences.

Denguy said...

Do you ever take the kids to Sonic? Do you have Sonic Greasetaurants there? We don't have them here, but I L-O-V-E loved them whilst in Texas.

furiousBall said...

oh man....

i don't want to have a consequence either

Patience said...

That boy is a genius!

Patois said...

My 6-year-old boy came up to me this morning and said, "Happy Martin Luther King Day, Mommy." Indeed.

mo.stoneskin said...

You should have used the MLK counter-defence.

3carnations said...

Kicked you in the shins? Goodness.

The MLK defense, though. Foiled.

Rockzee said...

Love that kid.

Miss Ash said...

I admire your patience.


And sending a blessing for us both to have MORE!!!
:)


"Santa and Martin Luther King,Jr. have been talking and they asked me to remind you that MOMMY is the boss. And that little boys should never kick their mommies."

JoeinVegas said...

Ooo - I like Miss Ash's response. You just have to learn to turn it around, and ask him what MLK would say about his attitude.

The Medium Swede said...

Your cooking must suck. ; )

Ah, those strong-willed children...I wish I had the restraint you seem to have.

The Sour Kraut said...

Oops. That was me, not The Swede.

liliannattel said...

He is one smart kid. Good luck! Re the school & race--they might have discussed it but at 6 he might not have gotten it. I can't remember when my kids started understanding skin colour and eye shapes and hair colour/texture as racial identifiers. But certainly prior to school age it was just an individual characteristic, and I can't remember whether it was in grade 1 or 2 that changed. It wasn't because of what was discussed with them, but a matter of cognitive development.

Don Mills Diva said...

You can't fault his logic.

Methinks the Mayor has a bright future in politics or practising law.

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

Your boy. He's brilliant!

I found myself unabashedly playing the Santa card over and over in November and December. I'll have to remember The King Defense before my girls use it on me! :)

p.s. kicking is always the worse...well there is kicking and screaming...OY!

HW said...

"...yes, but I bet Martin Luther King never kicked his mother. If he had, I bet he would have been picking his own switch."

Anonymous said...

I love the Mayor with delicious vengeance. Love,
Dad

Magpie said...

Stunning.

Jennifer said...

Your dad makes me laugh.
And I think you have a future attorney on your hands...

Merrily Down the Stream said...

Well he certainly got you there!

Twisted Cinderella said...

LOL that is too cute!