Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Caveat

When K broke out the new checker board, The Mayor said that he'd prefer to learn chess first.

With difficulty, K and I somehow remembered the names of the chess pieces, but the rules of the game were long lost.

K, being a stalwart and patient parent, turned to the Internet and printed out a set of game instructions.

My glorious husband sat down at The Mayor's little table and began explaining.

"This game has a LOT of rules, Mayor," he said.

"Dad," The Mayor replied. "I really like games and game rules. Actually, I like all rules."

He thought for a moment, then added,

"Except parent's rules. Those are stinky."

7 comments:

Mary G said...

Don't we all ask ourselves from time to time what we did to deserve this? You'll probably soon have a kid who can beat Daddy at chess. Mine could ruin me at poker from a very early age; Grandpa taught them.

Patience said...

I must agree with the child. Parents' rules definitely stink.

Amanda said...

Refreshingly honest.

Kim said...

Too funny!

The Sour Kraut said my post and yours were very similiar.

Apparently, or maybe I should say OBVIOUSLY, we have very bright children!

Vodka Mom said...

that's why I, for one, have NEVER followed rules.


rules smules.

movin' down the road said...

well, if you got all the other's covered, then you are pretty much golden...you just have to work on one last set of rules.

Margaret said...

My son is the same. He likes rules. Especially when he is the one making them! Have you tried "no strees chess"? You can get it at the toy store. It explains all the moves the pieces can make, and introduces an element of chance, so anyone can win, even someone who has never played before.