Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Interesting

"What can you tell me?"

[That's what we say to each other when we get home from work.]

K sat there a moment, thinking.

"Nothing," he said. "Not one thing."

"Yeah," I returned. "You've been working too hard and so have I."

"Ack! We're not even interesting anymore!" he cried. "What did we used to do that made us interesting?"

I drew a blank.

"Maybe we were never really very interesting," I said.

[Oh, The Joys - now with more Optimism!]

"Okay," he said, "what did we do that made us think we were interesting?"

My thoughts wandered back to the time when he and I got to know each other.

"You volunteered for Habitat, you played guitar... you had those index cards with vocabulary words on them... that was interesting."

"But I don't do any of those things anymore," he lamented.

[He was awfully cute with his index cards... but you should have seen him framing a Habitat house with his sweaty t-shirt clinging to his rippling... ]

[YOWZA!]

After the kids went to bed, we headed for our computers.

[Because we are smokin' hot like that.]

K kept interrupting me to show me tricks to enhance the performance of Microsoft Excel.

"What are you working on?" I finally asked him.

"I'm practicing building an amortization table," he told me.

[Yes, practicing building an amortization table. You heard that right.]
"Come see," he said. "Let me show you."
And do you know what I said?
"Baby, you're getting more interesting all the time."

15 comments:

flutter said...

that is just WILD! I tell ya!

Jocelyn said...

Oh, Jeebus, I so identify--and find myself gasping that other couples greet themselves as my husband and I do. I kind of feel like I go out into the world and gather gossip, just so I have something to report.

Marriage has made me meaner. That's my point.

mo.stoneskin said...

Are we talking about the same Habitat that I know, over-priced designer furnature that thinks its uber-hip? Volunteered?

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

Oh, you crazy kids! My husband would totally try to show me an amortization table - he's an accountant, what can I say?

Merrily Down the Stream said...

We always said 'Tell me a story' For a couple years now Gapetto's got nuthin' Ah, but an amortization table that's hawt!

Patience said...

Oooh. An Amor-ti-za-tion Table! The things two people can do on one of those!!

Ha! My word verification is fearingu!

Assertagirl said...

Vocabulary flash cards = HOT

Joie said...

Just like us.

Kyla said...

That's hot.

Denguy said...

How romantic!

Above Average Joe said...

Is he in a sweaty t-shirt while practicing those tables?

JoeinVegas said...

Maybe you guys could start speaking racoon to each other.

liliannattel said...

Did you hold hands while looking at excel?

Lynn said...

Hilarious! I hear ya!

Karen said...

oooo, baby, talk calculus to me! hahahah!

We used to read aloud to each other. We don't do that anymore, but he does try to show me his progress on Fear II.