Monday, February 09, 2009

One Down, Four To Go

Last week, I let them take my power at work.

[Four out of five days, anyway.]

Every morning as I drove in, I reminded myself...

"Don't let 'em take your power!"
[Best laid plans, eh?]

I let the small stuff get to me and hung my frustration out on the line.

I was as petulant as a child at two different meetings last week , rolling my eyes, sighing heavily, generally accentuating how burdened I was by inefficiency, ineffectiveness and... whatever else.

[Oh, the grown up.]

As it turns out, the whole "don't let 'em take your power" thing works about as well for forty one year olds as it does for four year olds.

[Maybe 20% of the time.]

At the week's end, I felt defeated.

I let it all get to me. I let them take my power.

I vowed that this week I would bring my inner Zen Master to the office with me.

Today, I kept my cool.

Bow to the Sensei.

13 comments:

mo.stoneskin said...

And kicked some twit with a crazy afro in the head? That is the sublimest definition of "keeping your cool" I've ever heard. Can I have the number of your Zen Master?

Nadine said...

Hahaha what the previous commenter said :))

You know, it is tough to always keep your cool. I manage to do it most of the time; especially when things don't effect me personally. But as a part time worker, I am more distant from the job anyway, so I am more OK with other people's decisions.

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

Good for you mama although you do look a little crazee in that pic. ;)

Ommmmm...

Laura said...

You rock!!!! You are my master...I need to learn this!!!

mommymommyland said...

good for you!!! Hold tight to your power!!!

Patience said...

They cannot take your power if you refuse to give it up!

WILLIAM said...

Fear does not exist in this dojo does it?


Sweep the leg!

Merrily Down the Stream said...

Hmmm - it looks like you left your naughty bits awfully vulnerable in that pic!

ms. changes pants while driving said...

bow to the sensei releasing the mighty wind?

liliannattel said...

Way to go!

urban-urchin said...

You look like you're working up to letting one rip-Sensei/ Stinkay.

John Ross said...

Hmmmmm...to tell you about my power taking Boss/uncle or not....guess i just did, sort of...been there, will be there again.....some day, it will all pass away, and we'll finally be - free (was that Cat Stevens?)

word veri was bibles (no, really - does that mean something?)

heartatpreschool said...

I try not to let them take my power at work too...then they seep into my dreams. The other night, I had a nightmare that I was swearing at everyone at work, flipping them off and almost coming to blows with some people, until HR called me in for "a conversation". I woke up thinking, dammit - they took my power when I wasn't looking!