Friday, February 20, 2009

The Winner

The Mayor is learning about dinosaurs in pre-k.

He's become a veritable font of dinosaur factoids, enthusiastically overflowing with random details.

He was unable to sit still or eat his breakfast this morning until he released the pressure mounting mightily under his dinosaur detail valve.

"Mom! Mom! Do you know what?"

"What, Mayor?"

"A triceratops and a velociraptor were fighting... and there was a sandstorm... and they died in the sand WHILE they were fighting!"

"Really?"

"Yes!!! It's the only known fossil of dinosaurs fighting! They DIED while they were FIGHTING!!"

"Oh," I noted.


[I tried to be enthusiastic.]

The Rooster, who had been quietly chewing her toast, lifted her eyes to mine.

"Do you know who won that fight, Mama?"

"No, Rooster. Who won?"

"The sandstorm," she said sardonically and returned to the business of eating her toast.

23 comments:

Purple Hydrangea said...

Wow the Rooster is very very astute, and she probably would know what "astute" means!

natasha the exile on Mom Street said...

Love when us girls can keep things in perspective so nicely!

Habbala said...

This story cracked me up.

Thanks for sharing these stories, as I am locked away writing my masters thesis, your stories are always a bright point in my day!

Barbara said...

I just love the way the Rooster's mind thinks... Poor Mayor all excited and she calmly lets us know how it really is :)

liliannattel said...

Wisdom of the rooster.

Scientific Lutheran said...

She cracks me up. I can't wait for all that sarcasm and attitude become pubescent.

Emily N said...

OK that got a LOL!

Mandy said...

Smart cookie.

My son's developing an interest in dinosaurs and I have to say, the books should all come with name pronunciation guides!

carrie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bianka said...

A comedian, that one!!

flutter said...

your kids, they kill me

kittenpie said...

OMG she is clever! (Not to mention funny.)

Patois said...

Sandstorms, I always cheer for them. And Rooster.

Little Nut Tree Blog said...

HA! *snort* Clever girl ;)

TRS said...

Dang she is gooo! How old is she again?

She's smart and funny. The best combination.

Virtualsprite said...

Wow! That's one of the smartest things I've ready today. Truly. Good for Roo!

Janet said...

Pretty clever for first thing in the morning. I can't even spell dinosaur until I have had my coffee.

TSM_Oregon said...

Oh yes, the sandstorm r0xx0rs!

One sharp tack you've got there!

Nadine said...

Very clever!!

Miss Ash said...

Rarr!!!!!
She sounds so adorable!

Tyler loves dinosaurs to this day-- the love affair began when he was tiny, and now as an almost-7-yr-old, he has a ton of amazing books on dinos!

Above Average Joe said...

Damn that Mother Nature. She wins every time.

Kelley said...

I really really like that girl.

She would fit in here with my Damn Emos.

movin' down the road said...

HA HA HA HA! She's gonna be a brilliant writer or something.