Wednesday, July 08, 2009

The Breathtaking

I'm always elated when I pull off the final, little, state highway and follow the unmarked country lanes that weave their way through the Virginia farmland to my Granny's house.

I fill my lungs in anticipation thinking that I'm almost there.

It was no different as I drove in for the Fourth of July holiday last weekend.

I passed flowering rows of tobacco, faded red barns and endless, crooked fence posts.

Shafts of sunlight filtered down through the hardwood trees making the pavement sparkle.

Out of nowhere, a brilliantly colored hummingbird appeared.

The hummingbird was the most extraordinary shades of royal blue and aqua marine, really quite breathtaking.

I admired his beauty and watched the beautiful arc of his flight and then, understanding his fate, suddenly sucked in my breath.

BLAP!

I looked in my rear view mirror and there, in the middle of the road, was a royal blue and aqua pancake.

Welcome to the countryside!

14 comments:

Mrs. Schmitty said...

OH NO (as I cover my eyes)!!

Sayre said...

That happened to me and a scissor-tailed flycatcher once. I felt terrible.

flutter said...

I am SO glad I am not the only one that happens to

UPrinting said...

Aww, the poor hummingbird. Gone too soon.
That was really hilarious, btw. I mean, after you admired the bird and all... that would happen?! :D

WILLIAM said...

Hummingbird Pancakes are delicious with a side of bacon.

Kyla said...

Oh no!

John Ross said...

Gawwww! ok, that was both funny and terrible. A slice of life, as it were.

Carie said...

I am a wife, a mother, and a graduate student. I’m currently researching mommy blogs, and I found your blog through one of the blogs I follow. (Really enjoyed reading your blog too!) I would appreciate your input about why you blog! If you would participate, please visit my blog—http://reflectionsofasheepishlion.blogspot.com—and answer my questions in your comment.

Thank you, and God bless you.

Kim said...

Welcome to the country indeed.

Amanda said...

Eek! Hope beyond that were fireflies and inimitable home-cooked meals and sentimental goodness.

Scientific Lutheran said...

Ok, that made me chuckle.

You'd think that a humming bird would be fast enough to get out of the way of a car.

Merrily Down the Stream said...

He is an EX parrot...

Ben and Bennie said...

Man, that's pretty darn good to nail a hummingbird! I think that's good luck in Ghana.

Toddler Crafts Susan said...

Hi i also was in a similar situation i was embrassed. This may funny but the situation should not come to any one.