Sunday, October 25, 2009

Watching You

My Aunt Nancy received an unexpected messaged when she and I sat together in the family consultation room at Duke University Hospital.

My Granny had been in an awful car accident.

She was transferred to Duke and, ultimately, attached to a ventilator.

My Aunt pulled a sealed envelope from her purse which contained my Granny's advance medical directive.

When my Aunt tore open the envelope's seal and unfolded the document, we noticed my Granny's handwriting across the top.

She had written,

"If you let me become a vegetable, when I finally do die, I will come back and haunt you."

I was reminded of this when I heard my husband shout from another room.

There are some types of shouts that you recognize as correlated to real pain and those are the ones that get you moving.

When I arrived at our bedroom door, I saw him rubbing himself on the... uh... right hindquarter.

After a little rear kneading, he bent over and looked down at the quilt on our bed.

Then he leaned in for an even closer look.

A sewing pin was sticking straight up from out of one of the quilt squares.

The pin's head was sewn inside the center of the square, suggesting that the pin had been there since the quilt was made.

Judging by the patterns on the fabric squares, I would have to guess my Granny made the quilt sometime in the early 1960's.

This pin, after nearly fifty years of lying innocently flat inside it's square, decided to stand on it's end and pierce all that is round and firm (and oh, so very nice) on my beloved's backside.

What made it stand at attention and poke my dear husband in the pants seat today?

A message from beyond perhaps?

Knowing my Granny, she was just keeping him on his toes.

I pictured her spirit laughing.

"Gotcha!"

10 comments:

Joie said...

Fabulous, Granny.

I have been missing you lately. So good to get two posts this week. I gave up blogging long ago but I was not as interesting to read as you are.

Merrily Down the Stream said...

Indeed she did!

St Jude said...

I'm sorry I know I shouldn't but that gave me a giggle, I'm sure your husband would not appreciate me laughing. Your Granny sounds like she was a great character. Hope his rump is mended ;0)

Ashlie- Mommycosm said...

Aww. She sounds as fiesty as my Grammy was. I'm sure she was sending a message. Too funny.

deb said...

Your granny rocked obviously. I will write the same message on my advanced directive, maybe even tattoo it on my chest.

Rima said...

See! She is totally still with you!

Aimee Greeblemonkey said...

I think your Granny is hanging with my Oma.

WILLIAM said...

Haunted by Granny poltergiest

Leah said...

Your Granny is awesome!! I miss your posts and your mighty wind stories.

UPrinting.com Reviews said...

I don't know if I should feel sad for your granny or laugh at her "antics."
LOL @ husband! You even checked him out while he was rubbing his hurting butt. :D