Thursday, January 14, 2010

Press Here When Finished

A young woman and an older one were arguing when they got in line behind me.

As far as I could tell, there are only two automated check-in kiosks for Delta Airlines at Washington National Airport and this afternoon, one of them was broken.

The broken kiosk was frozen on the final step of the check in process and a large, red button at the bottom, right-hand corner of the screen said "PRESS HERE WHEN FINISHED."

The older woman, muttered something about the long line, marched up to the broken kiosk and, like all those who came before her, pressed the red button.

I leaned over to the younger woman and said,

"It's an experiment to see how many people will push the button."

The older woman pushed the button again.

And again.

And again.

"Or maybe It's an experiment to see how many TIMES a person will push the button," I suggested.

The older woman proceeded to push the button eleventy million times.

I looked at the younger woman.

"Your mother, it seems, falls into the category of 'One Who Pushes The Button A LOT'."

The younger woman roller her eyes and said,

"Tell me about it."

7 comments:

furiousBall said...

FWIW, I only push the button when I am done, because I'm like a turkey

~ifer said...

hmmm... don't we all have mothers that constantly push the proverbial button?

Amy said...

heh.

WILLIAM said...

Perfect. Except mothers are never done.

Merrily Down the Stream said...

After all, her mother is the one who installed her button!

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

Wait - you were in D.C?

*scowling*

kittenpie said...

Aren't they all, aren't they all...