Sunday, March 07, 2010

Georgia Clay Red

We found a spoon in the grass behind the abandoned storage building by the pond.

She realized its utility right away.

We made our way back up the hill, across the ball field, toward her bike waiting by the road but, we didn’t make it that far.

Now she squats in the dry red dirt around second base.

She has flipped the base over and is filling the little square divots on its underside with dirt, using the spoon as a shovel.

She mounds the dirt with her hands.

She scoops with the spoon.

She smooths each load with the back of the spoon.

She occasionally wipes her dusty hands on her face, staining her cheeks and nose the color of Georgia clay.

The clear sky glows blue above the ocher red of the infield and the tawny grass that stretches across the field beyond.

She breaks my heart and she's right there.

There is a god that can make something so perfect.



Her father sent me this message while I was out with The Mayor buying him new shoes.

He told me later that every now and then she would raise her head and look around, suddenly realizing that she should make sure he was still nearby.

Of course, he always was.







In other news - I was given the chance to test drive a concept car from Lincoln for a whole week!

19 comments:

slow panic said...

this just might be the perfect post

Mary G said...

Beautiful. Her, and your description.

Stacia said...

This is just what we want for them, isn't it? To be engrossed in their own creativity, discoveries, adventures, knowing all the while we're there, if they need us?

WILLIAM said...

What a lovely visual.

furiousBall said...

this was really sweet

The Amazing Trips said...

That's childhood. I have those memories, and I can see those same memories being created for my own children. It's awesome.

Anonymous said...

I remember sitting with Rooster on your front porch as she explored a bubble wand and bubble mix - every few minutes she would turn herself 1/4 turn as she sat on the floor emersed in the flow of her game. Just to watch - to sit beside her as she danced to her own drummer - I also marveled at the perfection before my eyes. How nice when we have the patience to let her be herself on a beautiful day without the need to rush and do something else. What a treat for both adult and child. Love, Grandma Seattle

jess said...

Ah, just beautiful. I can picture it so clearly.

SheSaid/HeSaid said...

With each phrase - I had a clear picture in my head - and it was beautiful!

In all it's simplicity and beauty - this is one of my favorites EVER!

Thank you!

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

A wonderful post. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Your posts are often profound, sometimes funny, sometines sad, and sometimes beautiful. We should all remember that events like these occur to us everyday and often we are too blind to see.

Kyla said...

Beautiful post!

Meg at Demanding Joy said...

Wow. Thank you so much for sharing them with us.

lifeinapinkfibro said...

I loved this. Poetry. Thanks for sharing.

Anna said...

He's a keeper.

Merrily Down the Stream said...

But K wrote this - correct?
Lovely

amanda said...

Love.

Kellan said...

ABSOLUTELY loved this - LOVED it - brought tears to my eyes. And, while I have a pretty darn good husband and love him to death, I love yours a little bit too!

Kellan

Kelly said...

Your husband sends you such wonderful words. Truly.