Monday, March 29, 2010

Zookeeper

"The Zoo lady was talking down to them," she told me in disgust. "Thank GOD for The Mayor!"

I ran into the mother of one of The Mayor's classmates in the parking lot of his after-school art program.

"What happened?" I asked.

"The kids went to a presentation at the zoo and the presenter really talked down to them. She seemed so out of touch with their current level of development. I found myself getting mad on their behalf," she said.

I kept listening.

"But then, when she was talking about armadillos, The Mayor raised his hand."

I braced myself.

"What did he say?" I asked tentatively.

"Excuse me, Zookeper. Does the armadillo have an exoskeleton?"

I laughed.

"I loved him in that moment," she said. "The rest of the presentation was more at their level."

At dinner I asked The Mayor about the armadillo.

"Interestingly," he said, "the armadillo is a mammal so it has bones on the inside of it's body. It's one of the few mammals with a hard shell."

"Is that so," I said.

He shrugged.

"That's what the zookeeper said."

16 comments:

furiousBall said...

i have often laid awake at night pondering the exoskeleton of the armadillo... thank you Mayor, thank you fine sir.

Merrily Down the Stream said...

REally in lots of ways they are much smarter than us. Blessedly.

Anonymous said...

The Mayor, one smart kid! Give him a kiss for me, Love, Grandma Seattle. Miss you!

mythoughtsonthat said...

Man, I loved this!

Sevendsen said...

Watch the trailer for The Zookeeper on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z75b19HbpL8

Stacia said...

Thank goodness for five-syllable words and kids who aren't afraid to use them!

Aimee Greeblemonkey said...

Rock on, kid.

SheSaid/HeSaid said...

God Bless him!!!!! Innocence and youth at it's best!

WILLIAM said...

I am teaching my kids to ask (at presentations just like this) the question:

"Do they taste good?"

kittenpie said...

That's awesome. Go, Mayor!

Gingers Mom said...

What an adorable little smarty pants. It was like giving her the middle finger without him even knowing it!

LOL

Michelle | LargeFormatPosters.com said...

LOL I think I actually learned about the exoskeleton bit when I was in science class. And I was like, hey I know that fact.

ewe are here said...

heh heh


But you'd think teachers would coordinate better with field trip guides so this doesn't happen. sigh.

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

Gotta love kids for getting to the point!

R said...

brilliant!

Peter Germany said...

God Bless him!!!!! Innocence and youth at it's best!