Monday, July 12, 2010

Who Dat?

On the 4th of July, my cousin Kaycee announced that she wanted to be baptized in the pool near my Granny’s house.

She was never properly baptized as a child and she declared she was ready.

“What name do you want to take?” family members asked.
“Cowbell and Batman,” she replied.
The Mayor, always literal, said,
“I think you need to take a saint’s name.“
And then, doing the best that a six year old without the benefit of a proper religious upbringing could, he continued,
“Like from the New Orleans Saints.”
And so after the home-grown, state border purchased, family only fireworks display executed by my cousin Colin and his fiance Alyssa, it came to pass.

Kaycee was baptized,

"Kaycee Cowbell Batman Reggie Bush [Last Name]."

I hope you had a happy Fourth too!

9 comments:

Jenifer said...

The New Orleans Saints...that is priceless. I have missed your humourous take on things.

coldspaghetti said...

That is AWESOME. Love love love!!!

John Ross said...

Good to read you again. And of course, congrats(or similar appropriate affirmative) to your cousin.

Woman with kids said...

Praise be to the Flying Spaghetti Monster! The Mayor is a very smart boy.

Amanda said...

Indeed.

JoeinVegas said...

Sounds fine. Hope she writes small so it will all fit in those little boxes on forms.

Gretchen said...

If that isn't a proper baptism, I don't know what is...

Anonymous said...

Oops. It was not cowbell but cowbone! Not that we should let facts get in the way of a good story. And the cowbone was my suggestion since I had called her Kaycee Cowbone all of one year as a joke. She added the Batman and the Mayor did indeed go with the Saints

Love, Grandma Seattle

Denguy said...

That's genius, pure genius!

(By the way, I didn't have a happy 4th -- I had a happy 1st instead.)