Friday, November 05, 2010

The Silly Run

"Do the silly run, Daddy," she says.

Every morning, we drop K off at the commuter rail station.

As he leaves the car, the silly run is often requested.

My husband then morphs into what I can only liken to a rocking chair with boat propellers.

His arms fly out like airplane wings.

His lower legs rotate at the knee joints and spin at odd angles.

He zig zags, serpentine in great S curves past expressionless commuters and motionless people quietly waiting for the bus.

Inside the car, there is laughing and sometimes applause.

He'll pause, halfway to the station entrance and throw kisses back towards us.

K is normally quiet and mild mannered.

He's an introvert. He's shy.

I hope my kids remember his silly run long after he's gone.

It is a true act of love.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

K is a family treasure! I've seen the silly run and it is a sight to behold. Love, Grandma Seattle

R said...

I love this. to bits.

your family is so blessed, and even better than that - you all know it.

*HUGS*

meno said...

*sniff* The things we do for love.

Life in Eden said...

so glad you're back. I love these stories.

Katybeth said...

My son and hid dad--drove to school every morning and had a silly way of saying goodbye. it started in 1st grade and continued into 7th grade...One morning, Joe and Cole said their silly goodbyes for the last time. Joe died later that morning of a heart attack. Cole holds that silly goodbye very close to his heart...he will remember it always and I suspect carry the tradition on with his own children.
Your husband silly dance...makes me smile.

Jenifer said...

K is the best Daddy and we are lucky to have a best Daddy in our house too.

Magpie said...

i am going to do the silly run on monday morning.

John Ross said...

That was charming, thanks.

JoeinVegas said...

Video! - please, post a video!

Nichole said...

That is so very sweet.

MamaFeelgood said...

I think I have a crush on your hubby now. Please forgive me.

Jonathan said...

Our children often roll their eyes at my antics, but they ALWAYS come to me when in search of silliness :)

flutter said...

I love that you used that image, I was totally picturing him doing the ministry of the silly walks.

that is awesome

amanda said...

They will.

I remembered an incorrigibility and joie de vivre in my grandfather. I referred to it in the obituary I wrote for him. It was erased by many who chose to print it. Apparently that is not to be written about deans of colleges.

Meh.

I smile thinking of how keenly they will remember it.

Lauren said...

Love it! I call my honey "K" on my blog also. They must just be a good breed! :)

Student of the Year said...

They will totally remember. Which is amazing and awesome.

toddlerplanet said...

That's all kinds of awesome. Go, K!

Maddy said...

Fabulous and the ministry of funny walks would always get my vote.

Deb said...

So beautiful.